Date Built: 1986
Grades: 6th - 8th
School Colors: Maroon and Gold
Covington Middle School, built in 1986, was named after Weldon and Verna Covington. They were master teachers in music, and their bands always ranked among the top in state competitions. Their teaching careers spanned more than 50 years, and together they developed the successful music programs for the District.
Mr. Covington began teaching in AISD in 1932. Under his guidance, the band program grew from eight members to over 1,000 students. From 1935 on, his bands were winning first division places in the National Band Contests. In 1952, he was invited to join the American Bandmaster's Association, becoming recognized internationally as a leader in the concert band field.
Mrs. Covington started teaching immediately after graduating from the University of Texas with a degree in music education, becoming the first woman band director in Texas. Twice, her bands were runner-up to the honor band and her junior high bands consistently won many state and national honors.
The Covingtons were members of the Texas Music Educators Association for over 50 years. Mr. Covington served TMEA as the band and orchestra chairman and also as president in 1947.
Mr. and Mrs. Covington gave their careers to their students and to AISD. They served Texas' music through various programs and functions all their lives and are known for their devotion and zest in nurturing thousands of children who received a musical blessing from their instruction.